RE: Coworker who won't take no...

Subject: RE: Coworker who won't take no...
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Blount, Patricia A" <Patricia -dot- Blount -at- ca -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:09:44 -0600

Blount, Patricia A wrote:

> As the words left his mouth, I frowned. Slowly stood up (I'm taller
than
> he is) with my hands in a STOP gesture. Cut him off with carefully
> chosen words: "<Name>, that subject is closed. I can't make this any
> clearer. My sons have no interest in it. I have no interest in it. I'm
> not discussing it again. Now, unless you have any project work to
> discuss, you'll have to excuse me."
>
> He put his head down, hurried away. I'm not sure, but I think I saw a
> tremble in his lower lip.
>
> I'm a mean old lady who most likely doomed herself to an eternity in a
> game store for making this kid cower, but d -at- mn! I feel liberated!
>
> The guide I wrote goes to him for review on Monday and I'm no longer
> worried about it. If he can't or won't do his job, that's not my
> problem.
>
> Thank you all for your words of wisdom and caution. This assertiveness
> stuff is hard for me. I worry too much about hurting people's feelings
> but finally realized that's also not my problem.

Bravo!

For most of us, it's hard not to worry about hurting someone's feelings,
and we don't want to be callous and insensitive. But it's also essential
to realize that you _cannot_ take responsibility for how someone else
feels. Each of us owns and controls (or fails to...) our own feelings.

When you hold yourself responsible for how someone else feels, you
surrender your psychological independence to them and give them control
over you. So feeling liberated when you take back that control is
exactly appropriate.

Congratulations on your self-liberation!

Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.