RE: "usable" screen captures and single sourcing

Subject: RE: "usable" screen captures and single sourcing
From: "Hemstreet, Deborah" <DHemstreet -at- kaydon -dot- com>
To: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 10:22:23 -0400

Ah, but I don't want ANYONE changing a picture in a controlled
document. In addition, inserting a slide inside the Word document could
make the document very large. We wanted to avoid that as well.

Actually, people liked this solution, once they caught on. Why? Because
the source was easily accessible to other employees who could use the
graphics/callouts in training presentations and other documents. By
taking it from the Source directory, they knew they were getting the
latest version from me.

OK, OK, I hear a lot of you crying out Single-sourcing... But this
methodology was incorporated before the days of single-sourcing, and
works fine for a small company where single-sourcing is not a viable
alternative (due to lack of staff, funding, inability to comprehend
need, etc.)

What I did was save the source presentation in a Figures > Source
directory (same directory where the original file rested. Update
figures:

1. Make new picture in PPT

2. Save graphic in Figures directory

3. Update figure in source document

A colleague of mine, Mark Levinson, once said, "Single-sourcing is a bad
idea whose time has come..."

I don't completely agree, but single-sourcing is not all it is cracked
up to be. It really depends on the needs and resources of a company. I
have been downloading and testing several help-authoring tools that
claim to be single-source tools.

Within their limitations - they are. But the minute you need something
special for your client, you have problems. The minute you are dealing
with documents that are less than perfectly formatted (and I stress
perfect) there can be problems, the minute you are working in an older
version of MS Word (and here in the US, many companies still have Word
2000 or older!), you have problems.

It really comes down to who are you writing for and what are their
needs? A company that has not yet entered the 21st century may not be
ready for single-sourcing!

Can single-sourcing work? Yes - but the training and professional
requirements are huge. Not all companies are prepared to go that way. Do
I like single-sourcing? Yes... if it meets the needs of the company I am
working for. But single-sourcing is not the single answer...

But I digress...

Deborah