Re: I have inherited some Word documents with some kind of auto-generated bookmarks that look like

Subject: Re: I have inherited some Word documents with some kind of auto-generated bookmarks that look like
From: "Jonathan West" <jwest -at- mvps -dot- org>
To: "Bruce Giddens" <bgiddens -at- lantronix -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:58:19 +0100

2008/9/16 Bruce Giddens <bgiddens -at- lantronix -dot- com>:
> Hi Techwrl-rs!
>

> I have inherited some Word documents with some kind of auto-generated
> bookmarks that
>
> look like this:
>
> 75108

That shouldn't be possible - bookmark names must start either with a
letter or a space

> or this
>
> pgfId-54431

I suspect that the bookmark has been added by some sort of custom
add-in. You can happily delete this unless it is referred to by a REF,
NOTEREF, or PAGEREF field elsewhere in the document or by an
INCLUDETEXT field in another document.

> or this
>
> _Ref938273648

This is automatically inserted by Word when the user inserts a
cross-reference. You need to check whether any cross-references to
that bookmark are still present. (The same kinds of fields as I
mentioned above)

> or this
>
> OLE_LINK4

This is often inserted automatically for no particular reason when
copying & pasting between documents. You can delete this.

Regards
Jonathan West

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/