RE: "budget" laptop?

Subject: RE: "budget" laptop?
From: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "Pinkham, Jim" <jim -dot- pinkham -at- voith -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:12:40 -0400

Jim Pinkham wrote (in part):
> Just to offer some further perspective on this: The norm in notebooks
> this quarter (since about late July/early Aug.) is at least 3 GB of RAM
> and 250 GB hard drives -- and quite a few are available at
> not-outrageous prices that have 4 GB of RAM and 320 GB hard drives.
> Ed's spex seem a little on the light side for what's currently on the
> market.

Note that the common versions of Wondows XP and Vista cannot make
effective use of the 4th GB of RAM. There are only two circumstances
where the extra memory will make any practical difference:
-if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows (XP 64 or Viata Ultimate)
-if you have a video adapter that uses system memory
Unless one of those applies to you, the 4th GB of RAM is pointless.

-Fred Ridder

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/