RE: Sorry, I missed that...

Subject: RE: Sorry, I missed that...
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Caroline Tabach" <caroline -dot- tabach -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 09:57:52 -0400

... which is all very fine, I suppose, as long as you know that the
problem is at the list, and not at your e-mail provider / spam screener.

Otherwise, how do you know that you are not missing important/useful
mail from non-list sources. How much time do you have to call up the
archive on your browser, and the recent list-mail in your e-mail program
and perform a side-by-side comparison taste-test by thread to see if
you've missed the important messages? Not everybody comes back to the
list after sorting out their problem and posts a message to the original
thread with [SOLVED] added to the subject line. Similarly, not everybody
posts a loud "thank you", to indicate the successful conclusion of a
query. And even if they do, how do you know that _that_ isn't going to
be one of the messages that goes missing?

Anyway, the reason that I noticed some list messages were missing is
because I happened to be following those particular threads with
interest. Just like any other reader, I let whole threads slide past,
unread, when they don't interest me, or don't apply to my situation...
or to my anticipated future situation.

The suggestion (from somebody else) to just use the archives is probably
a good one, except that half the reason I subscribe to lists is because
they are a push technology. At least half the value of a list like this
one is the interesting or unexpected stuff that comes by on a daily
basis. I would miss that entirely if all I ever did was perform archive
searches when I had a specific problem.

But now that I think of it, I could probably have a browser window open
on the archive and simply remember to refresh/update it several times
per day.

Hmm. If you go "no-mail" on a list like this, you can still post,
right?
Hmm.

- Kevin

or disclosing it.