RE: Show carriage return symbols in code samples?

Subject: RE: Show carriage return symbols in code samples?
From: "Andrew Warren" <awarren -at- synaptics -dot- com>
To: "Rob Hudson" <caveatrob -at- gmail -dot- com>, "techwr-l List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 13:56:20 -0700

Rob Hudson wrote:

> I've seen a few tech manuals that show linefeed symbols in code
> samples to let the user know that the line is "wrapped" in the
> example. How can I accomplish this with a style in Word?

Rob:

Others have already told you how... But if you put those symbols in the code, your readers will have to remove them each time they copy code from your PDF into their programs. It won't be a LOT of trouble for them, but why go out of your way to annoy them even a little bit?

Many programming languages ignore whitespace, so you can safely just break the line at any convenient spot (and indent the next line if you like) without affecting the syntax. If you feel a strong need for a mark, most languages recognize a standard line-continuation symbol (e.g., backslash for C and C++). Using that symbol will ensure that your code will work without modification when cut-and-pasted.

-Andrew

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/