Re: Pricing a project without access to the software

Subject: Re: Pricing a project without access to the software
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 09:15:46 -0700

Of the suggestions posted so far, I would vote for Peter's.

If the client absolutely insists on a fixed price, multiply
your hourly rate times the number of weeks until the
deadline plus a couple more (it's software, after all,
and that never gets out on time), times the number of
hours of your waking life you're prepared to devote to
the contract. Maybe 50 hrs per week until the last two
weeks and then 80 hrs per for those (again, it's software).

If I was hiring for this, I would probably not even try to
obtain anything more from my selected candidate than
an hourly rate and a commitment for a specified number
of hours of availability at this point. There's just as much
chance that I could commit to paying a large amount of
money for not very much documentation as there is of
buying myself a slave writer.

Gene Kim-Eng