RE: Lay versus lie

Subject: RE: Lay versus lie
From: "Sarah Blake" <Sarah -dot- Blake -at- microfocus -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 14:48:59 +0100

> I remember watching COPS and always being bothered by the policemen
> yelling at suspects to "Lay down on the ground!" Still, I suppose that
> if a policeman was pointing his gun at me and yelling at me to "Lay
down
> on the ground," that would NOT be the time to correct his grammar.

Though it would probably go rather badly for me; I have bad hearing and
would likely presume I just hadn't heard /what/ I was meant to lay down.

I can see the conversation now.

Cop: Lay down on the ground!
Panicked Englishwoman: Err, sorry, I didn't quite catch that, what am I
laying down?
Cop: You being funny with me?
Panicked Englishwoman: Err what? No, I just didn't hear you, could you
repeat that please?
Cop: Lay down!
Panicked Englishwoman: Yeah, I got that part, but what am I laying
down...

Your policemen are all nice polite fellows who'd laugh with me about it
later, right? ...right?

Sarah Blake
Senior Technical Author
Micro Focus