Re: "and then," or simply "then"?

Subject: Re: "and then," or simply "then"?
From: "Tom Johnson" <tomjohnson1492 -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- polycom -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 15:50:17 -0600

Sorry for appearing to drift. I was trying to point out that some grammar
rules are less firm than we think. Here's that reference for "then" in the
Apple style guide that I mentioned:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/APStyleGuide/AppleStyleGuide2006.pdf.
The excerpt is below, with the most relevant sentence in bold.

*then *Then is not a coordinating conjunction. In plain, declarative
sentences that consist of two or more independent clauses, then should
(usually) be preceded by a
comma and and, or by a semicolon. First you insert the CD, and then you
install the printer software.
*
*First you insert the CD; then you install the printer software.

*In the imperative mood, as in how-to steps, then is OK without the
conjunction.*

Insert the CD, then install the printer software.

It's also correct to use and then in imperative sentences consisting of two
independent clauses, or to precede then by a semicolon.

Insert the CD, and then install the printer software.
Insert the CD; then install the printer software.

Avoid using then unnecessarily:

Preferable: If you save a document often, you're less likely to lose
changes.

Avoid: If you save a document often, then you're less likely to lose
changes.

Whichever style you choose, be consistent throughout a project.

--
cell: 801-822-2241

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/