Re: internet and copyright

Subject: Re: internet and copyright
From: Jay Maechtlen <techwriter -at- covad -dot- net>
To: heidi arnold <heidi -dot- w -dot- arnold -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 22:26:03 -0700

voxwoman wrote:
> Being a person without country, there is not a whole lot you can do.
> Copyright issues are generally legislated within individual countries and
> then other countries, by treaty, agree to abide by some common conventions,
> or recognize the rights of the other signatory countries.
>
> In the United States, an individual has an implicit copyright in works that
> they create, at the time of creation. If you (unwittingly) participated in
> the creation of a video, or a video of you was distributed on the Internet
> without your permission, your recourse is limited, I believe. People are
> *supposed* to get ALL the participants to sign a release, but this doesn't
> always happen, and not a whole lot happens to these people. The problem is,
> unless you are a minor, you have to suffer real damages, and then drag it
> through the courts, where the video will get even MORE publicity.
>
> If, in fact, this was an actual medical exam, and not something akin to a
> "nature documentary", you DO have recourse in the US, because it's a
> violation of all sorts of privacy laws that specifically relate to medical
> practice.
>
> At a minimum, you can contact the web site hosting the video and demand they
> take it down.
>
> Good luck
> Wendy

actually, If those who created it have any means or assets, you could
(here in the US anyway) sue them for damages and distress.
You might also sue those who posted it or hosted it, I suppose.
Or just put enough leverage on the original perpetrators to induce them
to get it taken down.

As was said
Good luck

--