Re: Rerender or re-render?

Subject: Re: Rerender or re-render?
From: "Kathleen MacDowell" <kathleen -at- writefortheuser -dot- com>
To: "Odile Sullivan-Tarazi" <odile -at- mindspring -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 22:32:31 -0500

Hi Odile,

It's "generally recommended" practice to hyphenate uncommon or unusual
compounds (general principle) if there are no other specific
guidelines. I should note that this is for the US, not for other
geographic regions,which often differ, even if they speak a version of
the english language. For example, when I've worked on Australian
content, I've noticed that they tend not to hyphenate. Also, one
should be aware of other general principles proposed by organizations
such as Chicago, MS MOS, or APA (see below).

Any such recommendation can (obviously) be overridden by your
company's general guidelines.

General usage/style guides such as Chicago or MS MOS or APA (in US)
have more explicit recommendations, and sometimes they agree.

Regards,

Kathleen

--
Kathleen MacDowell