Need examples of system documentation

Subject: Need examples of system documentation
From: deltaskye <deltaskye -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 08:19:20 -0700 (PDT)

I am returning to IT system tech writing after an absence of four years. My client wants me to document a system that is already in place; the engineer who designed it did not write anything down!

I will be working with a new engineer to try to document the system (not for end-users, for the company's internal/engineering use). The engineer will be the technical SME and I will be the scribe and desktop publisher. The system is used by staff to register new customers for a service, document customer service calls, and transmit each day's activities to another system.

The engineer has asked me to provide him some examples of what the documentation might look like. I have all kinds of stuff generated when other customers followed an organized SDLC as they were designing a system. I'm looking for ideas on how to frame the documentation as the engineer and I try to document a system that someone else designed (and who is no longer available).

I don't know if the following is helpful, but here are some of the topics the engineer has suggested:

External data interfaces
Oracle database management system
BEA configuration
System backup/restore