Re: Ten Technical Writing Stereotypes

Subject: Re: Ten Technical Writing Stereotypes
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Tom Johnson" <tomjohnson1492 -at- gmail -dot- com>, "Techwr-l" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 13:07:16 -0700

Here's mine:

"Technical writers serve as advocates for users
because they understand user needs better than
developers."

In reality, technical writers are just as likely as
any developer to advocate for their concept of
users, and to address their own concept of
user needs. I have had to intercede in countless
knockdown, drag out disputes among factions
of writers who were deadset on their views of
users and user needs, despite the fact that
neither side had ever actually met or talked to
a real, live user.

Gene Kim-Eng