Re: Quality posters from PPT?

Subject: Re: Quality posters from PPT?
From: voxwoman <voxwoman -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: chrismorton11 -at- gmail -dot- com
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 11:44:40 -0400

You can't produce vector graphics with a bitmap program like Photoshop. You
can produce poster-quality graphics with photoshop, but the files are huge.

CorelDraw is a vector program, so you could use that to produce
production-quality artwork, but I think version 7 is somewhat outdated?

The graphics house may be doing more value-added stuff than "cut and paste"
- possibly adding some aesthetic values to the posters?

Ad agencies/graphics design studios typically don't do in-house production
grade printing. Printers/print houses also have very specific requirements
for file formats (unless you are going to pay them to do color separations
or pre-flight or whatever preprocessing needs to be done before the posters
go to press).

PowerPoint is not a graphics program, just like WordArt is not a graphics
program. If I had to guess, the marketing department uses PPT as a sketching
tool to lay out their ideas and the graphics house turns that into something
that looks professional.

You'll need to show they marketing manager that you can produce artwork that
looks as good as the outside people in order to bring this work into your
department.

-Wendy