Re: Need a single font

Subject: Re: Need a single font
From: Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: Pro TechWriter <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 10:42:35 -0500 (CDT)

Oh, boy, am I getting my education in fonts.

A search for a folder named Fonts turned up 13 folders! Their paths
include:

C:\Windows\fonts
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\fonts
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Designer 7.0\fonts
C:\Program Files\Adobe\FrameMaker7.1\fminit\fonts
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Distillr\Data\Fonts
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\PDFL\5.0\Fonts
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\PDFL\6.0\Fonts
lib/fonts
C:\PSFONTS

The types of fonts I see include .pfb, .otf, .ttf, .shx, .fmp, .sbx,
.ttc, and .fon.

Good lord.

At the link PT kindly provided
(http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/mondosearchresults.htm?st=12&kid=Optima),
when I search for .ttf files, the results are always .otf files. Can I
assume that .otf has replaced .ttf and that Framemaker 7.1 can use them?

I'm guessing that I would install the new fonts in C:\Program
Files\Adobe\FrameMaker7.1\fminit\fonts, but I'm not confident of that. I
just searched Framemaker Help for "install a font" and found one
supremely unhelpful line ("if you need a font, you might consider buying
and installing it"). No! Really? And it's only Wednesday!

So, great gurus of techwr-l, here are my questions:

1. For Framemaker, do I need to buy actual .ttf fonts, or will .otf
fonts work as well?
2. Which directory do they go in?
3. What utility do I use to install them? I looked at Adobe Type Manager
and found it baffling.

Thank you, O great ones. I would give each and every one of you a
beaming smile and a hearty handshake if we could but meet in person . .
.

--Nancy

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 11:01 AM, Pro TechWriter wrote:

PS: Scroll down on the page! The first 6 or 7 entries are very
expensive, but the listings at the bottom are $29.95! Make sure you get
the correct font for your operating system as well--the little "Mac" and
"Windows" buttons are easy to miss.

Cordially,
PT

Fonts.com has Optima: