Re: off topic?? In the job market again - contracting...

Subject: Re: off topic?? In the job market again - contracting...
From: "CL T" <straylightsghost -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 08:55:37 -0600

Agreed.

I will work hard for a company, but I will not sell my soul to them. I
honestly do not know of many corporations that hold loyalty to their
employees like they used to - it simply does not make the same "business
sense" that it used to.

Many, many corporations have not quite figured out exactly what we do for
them, how best to work with us, where to create policy allowing for SMEs and
information flow between departments. It's unfortunate that we often become
project managers, product managers, mediators, technical support and tech
writers all in one.

The days of loyalty are sadly behind us. If I go into battle I often get
looks from co-workers that say "You're insane!". I just tell them:

"The worst they can do is fire me."

This board is about the business, issues and life of Tech Writers (I may get
some argument from that one).

Good luck to you!

Get connected on Plaxo, LinkedIn, Monster, Dice...anywhere you can Network
and increase your visibility. Get a domain from GoDaddy (or a service of
your choosing) and host a website -- they're cheap and free tools like
WordPress will give you the power to show your skills.

Explore sites like http://www.copyblogger.com/, http://webworkerdaily.com/,
http://stellacommute.blogspot.com. Leave comments, link them on your Site,
follow their links, leave more comments, create more links...create more
visibility.

Some may say this is a waste of time. It's not. It gives you something to do
between scouring for gigs. It also allows you connect and start making a
name for yourself beyond physical borders.

-Collin Turner
Tech Writer, Screencaster, Writer
www.collinturner.com

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/