RE: the liaison between or the liaison among??

Subject: RE: the liaison between or the liaison among??
From: "Andrew Warren" <awarren -at- synaptics -dot- com>
To: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 17:31:27 -0700

Dan Goldstein wrote:

> Nope -- Mrs. Mintz was very clear about this one back in 10th grade.
> You can't stand *between* three people.

Of course you can. Standing "among" them is possible, too, but that
means something else.

Would you say "Hold the pencil among your thumb, index finger, and
middle finger"?
How about "the area among 1st Street, 2nd Street, Washington Avenue, and
Lincoln Avenue"?
Or "I can see sunlight among the slats of the venetian blinds"?

-Andrew

=== Andrew Warren - awarren -at- synaptics -dot- com
=== Synaptics, Inc - Santa Clara, CA

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/