RE: Honestly -- when an SME completely REWRITES your text ... GEEZ!

Subject: RE: Honestly -- when an SME completely REWRITES your text ... GEEZ!
From: "Downing, David" <DavidDowning -at- users -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 10:21:24 -0500

From: "Moshe Kruger (AllWrite)" <moshe -dot- kruger -at- gmail -dot- com>

I say, "take it like a man."

We are writers, but no-one has a handle on the technical know-how like
the
developers. Our aim is to be understood and to make the system
accessible.
Our aim is not to win writing prizes. If that SME has assisted in making
the
text easier to understand, thank him and move on.

Well, yes, I realize that ego has no place in technical writing. (In
fact, ego can be a bad thing in fiction writing as well, if you refuse
to take any advice from those who critique your stories.) And I also
realize the SME has a much better grasp of the material than I do --
which is what makes him the SME.

The reason it got me upset was that, by just rewriting the passage
himself, as opposed to telling me what needed to be corrected, he seemed
to be saying, "You're making such a mess of this that I don't think
you're capable of understanding what the problem is, so I'm just going
to have to do it for you." It makes me mad when someone makes the
assertion that I'm not capable of understanding something.

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/