Re: Clearing the check marks

Subject: Re: Clearing the check marks
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 18:49:00 +1100

I have a strong dislike for this kind of writing -- amounting to a kind of
revulsion, actually. You are supposed to be helping your users understand
what they are doing. You don't help them by telling them they are "selecting
boxes." Those boxes represent something, and that something is what you
should be talking about. The boxes are irrelevant; they are an artifact of
interface design. Your users are selecting OPTIONS of some sort--not
"boxes."

"What kind of work do you do?"
"Oh, I select boxes."

You are twice wrong about "make sure". It is not colloquial, and it is not
passive.

"Ensure" is fine too.

But please get rid of all that selecting of boxes. Make your writing
task-oriented. Make it subject-matter-oriented. Make it real-world oriented.

What are you thinking about when you write that the "checkboxes...need to be
deselected"? It is ludicrous to attribute "needs" to checkboxes on a form.

There is no need to propagate ugly, bogus words like "deselect."

"Clearing the options" (or, if you insist, the "boxes") works fine. But
please explain to your users what they are really doing -- in the real world
-- when they select or clear boxes.

--
Mike West

http://www.doctohelp.com