RE: perspective on rates

Subject: RE: perspective on rates
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Nancy Allison" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>, "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 16:17:59 -0400

Nancy Allison noted:

> Hey, all! There is a web site called glassdoor.com that enables
people
> to post their salaries anonymously. Here's what they're showing for
tech
> writers:

http://www.glassdoor.com/GD/Salaries/index.htm?sc.occupationParam=techni
ca
> l+writer
>
> You have to post something, either your salary or a company review, to
> get all the information. I am truly looking forward to browsing
through
> this site. It looks absolutely fascinating.
>
> Oh, and the tech writing salary info is pretty depressing some of the
> time . . .

I'll hold off giving them my info.

I wonder how well the model works, really.

According to what's visible to people who haven't joined, six Senior
technical writers at Cisco earn between $78k and $105k, while a SINGLE
technical writer (not senior) earns between 82 and 89k. Hmm.

If I, as one of three or four techwriters at my company were to post, it
would obviously be one of three people (the other one or two are in
India). Further, if one of the other two in North America makes
noticeably more or less than I do, then:
a) that would narrow it down even further (if HR was trying to identify
who had posted) and
b) it would create bad feeling in at least one techwriter at this
company.

Other people probably think the same way, which suggests that people are
likely fudging their salaries. I doubt anyone would fudge to the low
side, so-o-o-o-o-oooo...

- Kevin
or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com