RE: Honestly -- when an SME completely REWRITES your text ... GEEZ!

Subject: RE: Honestly -- when an SME completely REWRITES your text ... GEEZ!
From: "Van Boening, Tammy" <Tammy -dot- VanBoening -at- chartercom -dot- com>
To: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 10:46:13 -0500

Oh, I have a good one on spell checker and yep, spell checker did its
job -so I really can't complain since it was my fat-fingering that
caused the problem. I was once a trainer in the trucking industry and I
was developing and delivering training on the use of equipment in the
Liquified Natural Gas industry. Part of the training involved an
Operations manual that detailed the setup, installation and maintenance
of the associated LNG dispensers. I actually had to take the
transporters out to the field and run them through the field training of
this. Well, these were the "stereotypical" type of truck drivers -
hooters hats with T-shirts with suggestive sayings that barely covered
the beer bellies, the mudflaps on the truck showing rather voluptuous
women - you get the picture. Well, one of the lines in the manual was to
say "tighten the wrench on the . . . " Well, what got through spell
checker was "tighten the wench on the. . . " Uh - that took my best
professional ability and training decorum to get past that in class and
make sure that the training continued on schedule!

And as far as the SME rewriting - just got back 11 pages of edits from a
SME that were to be technical edits and only two were true technical
edits. The rest was crap like changing "Tighten the amplifier" to
"First, you will need to tighten the amplifier.. . " Sigh! Some SMEs
will never learn, and I have given up trying to train this one. I just
ignore 95% of the edits, do what's right and move on and let him gnash
his teeth and whine and moan and he eventually shuts up because he knows
that I am not gonna' include most of his 'technical' edits.

One more day until Friday,

TVB

Tammy Van Boening
Curriculum Developer
Charter University
Charter Communications, Inc.
tammy -dot- vanboening -at- chartercom -dot- com