RE: Grammar gurus: I have a question

Subject: RE: Grammar gurus: I have a question
From: "Lauren" <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: "'Barbara Philbrick'" <caslon -at- alltel -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 01:12:32 -0700

I try to read a passage like this without unnecessary words for the context
so that I can compare the two possibilities without distraction.

"Recommended the executive sign off"

"Recommended the executive signs off"

The first one almost suggests "sign-off."

Adding "should" can either clear or convolute the phrase.

Then I also want to see this as decidedly singular or plural as in the
following modifications.

"It recommends the executive signs off"

"We recommend the executive sign off"

If this were highway safety, then the question could come up in a driver
policy.

"It is recommended that the driver pull off the road."

"It is recommended that the driver pulls off the road."

"Pull off" makes more sense because it indicates action the driver is
performing for himself rather than to the road. So I'm in the "sign off"
camp, but I think that the "it is recommended" side of things adds a bit of
unnecessary twist to the statement. Then of course, there is always letting
the executive "sign-off."

Lauren

http://www.doctohelp.com