Re: Some questions from a grad student about careers in technical writing

Subject: Re: Some questions from a grad student about careers in technical writing
From: "CL T" <straylightsghost -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 12:53:19 -0600

Interesting questions...

(reposted)

1. What steps do you take when writing a document?

- I usually follow some bastardization of the ADDIE model (adjusted to
fit the environment/need/product)

2. How do time and budget limitations affect your writing?

- They are the wind and the current - The ALWAYS have a factor and will
usually be the main factor.

3. How much time do you spend writing?

- I write constantly - Tech writing and my own writing/publishing. At
work about 30% of my time is involved in writing.

4. How and when do you revise and edit documents?

- I try not to edit until I finish a revision. When I do heavy edits and
final cleanup I read from the last page (bottom) to the first page (top).
I'm a lone tech writer in this position, so I do most of my own editing.

5. How did you acquire the skills you use for your job? Did you take classes
or have on-the-job training, etc.?

- English, editing, writing, ESL Tutoring and publishing at University.
- I am/was also a Web/Multimedia developer, so many of the tools I
self-taught (University didn't do much for the toolset).
- I listen, read the manual and study to learn new tools, tech and
skills.

6. What steps did you take to get to the position you are in now?

- Recruiters are my friend.
- Networking
- Web Site and Search

<http://www.linkedin.com/in/collinturner>