Re: A doozy even for Word

Subject: Re: A doozy even for Word
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: "Van Boening, Tammy" <Tammy -dot- VanBoening -at- chartercom -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 13:25:53 -0500

Unfortunately, this isn't that uncommon. It sounds like you have a
corrupted Word file. I've not heard reported that this occurs in
Word 2007, but it seemingly does.

The basic trick to prevent this has always been to keep the files
size small. Others may have other suggestions.

This is an example of why Word isn't a good tool for documentation.

Scott

At 12:25 PM -0500 10/29/08, Van Boening, Tammy wrote:
>And here's a doozy even for Word that I have never seen before and have
>encountered twice now on this particular document on which I am working
>(Vista, Word 2007). In addition to the corruption of the Word
>templates, inconsistent and frustrating auto-numbering and bullets,
>disappearing heading paragraphs and text, all of which I have dealt with
>and have learned some tricks about (thanks to this list), when I opened
>my document today and clicked in a paragraph, I noticed that the style
>was not automatically selected in the Styles list. I thought it was just
>one weird paragraph, but a quick perusal of the whole document revealed
>that every single flippin' paragraph was no longer marked with its style
>- all of them were gone like that - body text, headings, etc. I had to
>manually and painstakingly go through each and every paragraph in this
>100+ page document and reapply the paragraph style. 95% of the time,
>there was no visible change in the layout of the paragraph, but the
>remainder of the time, the paragraph's alignment/spacing above and
>before/indentation would be reset (at least correctly!).
>
>I have never ever encountered this before with Word and this one is a
>good one. Now, if I were copying and pasting from an application like
>PPT or a PDF into the Word document and forgot to apply the desired
>style after copying, then that's one thing, but, all of this text is
>original and entered brand new into the document, so. . .
>
>Any thoughts or suggestions as how to avoid this major fiasco in the
>future? I have absolutely no idea what causes it or how to solve it
>other than the manual paragraph by paragraph approach that I have had to
carry out twice now.

http://www.doctohelp.com