RE: Is there a study on reading warnings, notes?

Subject: RE: Is there a study on reading warnings, notes?
From: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>
To: "Shannon Wade" <SWade -at- daktronics -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 11:28:11 -0800

My concern is that users arguably never read more than they absolutely
have to, and unless you somehow draw attention to warnings, they will be
probably be ignored. If I were working for a dishonest company (which I
am not) and I had to include something in a manual that I'd rather users
not read, I would embed it in a paragraph.

I am not sure that even "Note" in bold is a strong enough convention. To
me, "note" says, "something you might find of interest." That's not
sufficient for a warning. Instead, I use the international, triangular
symbol for "caution".

Of course, in saying all of this I assume that you want to create
documentation that is truly useful. If, on the other hand, the
documentation is just padding for the product, then embedding warnings
would be just fine.

Standardizing and single-sourcing is a wonderful. However, it should
never be done at the expense of the user.

Leonard