Re: Trouble with PDFs

Subject: Re: Trouble with PDFs
From: Emoto <emoto1 -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 10:24:47 -0500

From: techwr-l-bounces+sbrierley=accu-time -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
[mailto:techwr-l-bounces+sbrierley=accu-time -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] On
Behalf Of Cardimon, Craig
Sent: Friday, November 07, 2008 2:40 PM
To: Technical Writing
Subject: Trouble with PDFs

> I'm trying to edit an old PDF. I have Adobe Acrobat 9 Professional.
> Newly purchased.

> I can open the file, but when I try to do something, Acrobat gives me
> some nasty warnings.

> First warning: Warning! Since the original font is not available, a
> substituted font for editing is used. Any changes to the text of the
> original font will place a new font dependency upon the document.

This just means that adding a font makes more baggage for the doc. I
wouldn't be the least concerned.

> Second warning: The acquired editing font has fewer characters than the
> font used within the document. Many characters will be unavailable.

I cannot imagine any font having fewer characters than are represented
on a keyboard. This must have to do with the "extra" characters like
symbols, etc. After editing, examine the doc, paying particular
attention to any areas containing things like copyrights, and
scientific or mathematical notation. I would bet a quarter that you'll
be fine, but if those ares are fouled up, just change fonts for those
spots.

Bob

http://www.doctohelp.com