Re: What tools are you using

Subject: Re: What tools are you using
From: voxwoman <voxwoman -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Nancy Allison" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 10:14:32 -0500

Nancy,

Sorry for being obscure.

For the three products I told you about that you have no idea, a brief

Electric Quilt 6 is quilt design software that has a huge library of
traditional quilt blocks and paterns, lets you "audition" fabrics (which
have been scanned into fabric libraries), designs for quilt projects,
automatically figures out total yardages of fabric to buy, generates cutting
guides and templates, and creates print-quality graphics someone can use for
instructional books, magazine articles, etc. Some amazing designs can be
seen at their website, www.electricquilt.com

Sony Acid Pro is CAW (computer audio workstation in the digital music
creation lingo) software that lets you use your PC as a music recording and
mixing platform. Latest versions allow you to mix short loops of sound with
long recorded tracks and MIDI tracks. There are also hooks to sync to video
files for doing soundtrack work. It's a "poor man's ProTools", IMO (ProTools
being the current industry standard in the recording industry - PT is
primarily Mac-based, and comes with D-to-A converter hardware and generally
runs in the thousands of dollars, if not 10's of thousands of dollars. Acid
Pro 7 is now around 350 for a new install; upgrades are in the 100-150
dollar range).

Sound Forge is audio editing software that Sony acquired when they absorbed
a company called "Sonic Foundry" (in a similar way that Adobe acquires
software). It's very similar in appearance to Audacity freeware. Audacity is
to Sound Forge as Gimp is to Photoshop.

Hope this helps,
Wendy

PS Putty is a terminal emulator. I haven't needed to use that in ages.

http://www.doctohelp.com