RE: Telephone interviews

Subject: RE: Telephone interviews
From: "Erica" <ericamhc -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 12:14:08 -0500

Yes I've had to do a few recently. Generally they're done by HR, who will
ask introductory questions to get a general feel for personality, skills,
and interest, before presenting recommendations to the actual hiring
department. They often give a basic introduction to the company and the
role, but do not know the specifics such as rate, other people in the team,
and processes used in the actual hiring department. They'll ask more general
questions like "could you tell me about your experience in technical
writing" and "why did you apply for a position at our company", and I think
they tend to be looking for any kind of explanation and description, even if
they don't specifically know if it applies to the role needed in the team.
One you get past these "first-cut" interviews, then you often talk directly
to the people within the actual department who will get to know you more
personally and whether you fit in their environment.

Cheers,
Erica