Re: When to leave?

Subject: Re: When to leave?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 09:06:32 -0800

Compile a list of all current projects and their current estimated
completion dates. Let everyone involved know that since you
will be terminated as of Jan 2, you are going to concentrate on
completing projects that are already scheduled to be done on
or before that date (such as the guide you have already agreed
to do), and that unless other arrangements are made (such as
extending your employment of a contractor agreement) the
other projects cannot be completed before you leave and you
will be stopping work on them to concentrate on the one/s you
can complete.

If none of the projects are already scheduled for completion
prior to Jan 2, advise all involved that all work that can be
completed prior to your termination date has been "finished,"
and that unless they want to make those other arrangements
now you will be leaving as soon as you can brief those who
will be remaining on what still needs to be done and request
that your exit interview be scheduled.

It's admirable to not want to leave others who were not part
of the decision to render you unemployed in the lurch if you
can avoid it, but if the only thing you can accomplish in the
time remaining is to advance your projects to a later stage
of not being finished, they will still be left in the lurch and
you will have wasted valuable decompression, lost job
grieving and jobhunting time. This is one of those times
when you need to make sure your own oxygen mask is
in place and working before attempting to assist others.

Gene Kim-Eng