RE: When to leave?

Subject: RE: When to leave?
From: "Rick Bishop" <rickbishop -at- austin -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 11:30:56 -0600

Dear A: Having been there more than once, the most valuable (and visible)
service you can give any successor (& mgt) is to send a formal status report
on each project in the pipeline and details on recently completed work
showing:

WHERE IT IS (can't overstress this)
Detailed deliverables list for each with what is done & what isn't so that
all know there is work yet to be done.
Which (past) are best examples of work type: tmplts, repts, wp's, plans,
etc.
Locations of publishing resources: comp styles, stds, artwork, etc.

Send this to all dept heads because you don't know who will take up your
torch and because it makes you look good to all mgt.

This is way more important than completing any pending project, & you are
more likely to be called back as a contractor to complete pending stuff
because you are the obvious choice from a knowledge and experience
standpoint & everyone knows it. After the layoffs, what they would like
finished now could change.

Good luck!
Rick

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 08:02:05 -0600
From: TECHWR-L Administrator <admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com>
Subject: FWD: When to leave?

Hi All,

I have a question for the list. I was laid off in a mass layoff a few
weeks back, and they are treating us as employees until the first of the
year when the severance package will start, so I will be paid my regular
wages until Jan 2. We were told that we could leave when we finished our
work, and most everyone has turned in their computer and badge and gone.

As the sole tech writer, there is no one for me to turn my projects over
to, and there is, of course, no definitive moment when I would be
"finished" with my work. Most of my projects were always done for other
departments (not the one I report to) and there is no one who has an
overview of my work.

I would still like to complete a how to guide for the customer manuals
And for the custom and standard online help, and there is one group that
Badly needs help with a customer guide that I agreed to work on with the
understanding that my time was short. I can turn over a partial guide
that will need updated screenshots and procedures, or I can hang around to
make a guide that is nearly completed. There is also a chance that I can
continue to work as a contractor for a different department (same
projects) after the first of the year.

When do I leave, and when do I become a "stalker?" By staying longer,
Will I be earning brownie points, or will I make everyone even more
uncomfortable (post layoff stress syndrome)?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Anonymous

http://www.doctohelp.com