Re: "Sorry you're not the right fit" - After "all is fine" for 4 weeks

Subject: Re: "Sorry you're not the right fit" - After "all is fine" for 4 weeks
From: Yannia Vodrovich <coralfire -at- rocketmail -dot- com>
To: "Downing, David" <DavidDowning -at- users -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 07:36:47 -0800 (PST)

This is how I felt at this job. I am rather extroverted. I laugh and joke with everyone. At my last job and all prior, I would joke and laugh with everyone, and could usually make people smile and even crack up. I have been routinely been described as "a nut" "someone who gets along with everyone" that type of person. I like to cut up etc. Though I can work very hard. I've been told people admire my work ethic too. (Although in recent years I see myself liking tech writing less and getting rather restless sometimes. I think a career changes is in the pike.)

At this job, I would joke with people and they would smile quietly like they were uncomfortable. With some of them it seemed that they were just introverted. But some of them, it was like they were in clicques (sp?) - little 'boys' club' clicques - where inside their clicques, they would laugh and joke with each other that way, but if I joked with them that way, they would not joke back or laugh back with me that way, only with each other.

Or at times, it was as though they had their guard up with me, as though they knew something I didn't.

Or it was like they were doing their Stepford thing, being the Android as I mentioned. It was just an odd thing that was in the air. People acted splintered, like they were not happy there, like the esprit de corps was bad there, but no one wanted to say it was, so they just smiled politely at things but didn't heartily "belly laugh" because they just didn't feel it, like inside they were really miserable but didn't dare say that because of fear. After all the family was everywhere (it was a family business), so the KGB might report on you.