Re: Writing samples and portfolios

Subject: Re: Writing samples and portfolios
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 10:52:24 -0800

>From a hiring manager's POV, I'd rather see samples
of real documents for real products that a candidate
can demonstrate knowledge of content and what went
into making. If online delivery of samples is required,
I'd rather get scans of real documents with proprietary
data blacked out than candidate-created generic
samples or open-source project documents.

My own writing samples consist of scrubbed excerpts
from past documents and links to full documents that
past employers and/or clients have made available for
open download from their websites. Assorted examples
going back some 15 years with notations added to
point out common features of my past works to help
make it clearer that they are all my work.

Gene Kim-Eng