RE: Re: Does grant writing fall under technical writing?

Subject: RE: Re: Does grant writing fall under technical writing?
From: "Hyder, Lisa" <Lisa_Hyder -at- lcca -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 09:23:57 -0500

Diane Brennan <dalaine00 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:
> Great minds think alike! I've been talking to grant writers in my
> area to find out about that field because I'm also thinking about
> making a switch. One of them works for a non-profit and her
> title is actually fundraiser. She has an English degree, like I do,
> so that was encouraging. But like technical writing, there is a
> networking aspect to the job so you need to get connected to
> that network in your area. I'm still researching that part of it.

About six years ago, I was laid off and decided to take the opportunity
to change careers. I was just burned out on writing software doc. I had
no idea what I could do other than write, so I settled on grant writing.
I soon discovered that it's very hard to find an organization that will
actually pay you to write grants. :-)

I had lots of spare time, so I volunteered as a grant writer with a
couple of local non-profits, one of which soon asked me to join its
board. In searching for a grant writing job, I found another non-profit
that needed an unpaid intern to edit their publications, including grant
proposals, so I interviewed with them and got that position. Networking
is definitely important, and I made a number of contacts in the
non-profit world this way.

After about a year of this, I interviewed for an entry-level job in the
corporate advancement department of a university. The rest of the staff
and I got along famously in the interview, and I had high hopes of
getting the job. Unfortunately, it would have paid about half of what I
made as a tech writer, although there seemed to be a possibility of
fairly rapid promotion.

The next week, though, my husband was offered the option of a job
transfer out of state, which we decided to accept. (After a year of me
being unemployed, our finances were pretty bad.) When I called the
university to tell them to remove my name from consideration, the
department head said, "Oh, no! I thought we'd found our assistant." I
was pretty bummed about that one. Once we made the move, I didn't have
the financial luxury of starting my networking all over again in a new
area, so I went back to tech writing.

And Deborah Hemstreet wrote:
> A key question (I felt) was when she asked what attracted me to Grant
> Writing. I told her, "Because I'd much rather do something that will
> actually help people, than sit and check a software interface and
submit
> corrections to the GUI that will never be implemented because of
> deadline issues." She seemed to like that answer as well.

This is the big reason I wanted to change careers. I really feel the
need to do something that makes a difference in the world. I have
finally found a job as a tech writer that lets me experience that to
some degree, and I'm happy here. I still want to make the leap to grant
writing one day, but it will probably be my post-retirement career. :-)

Lisa

This e-mail, and any files transmitted with it, are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify the system manager at postmaster -at- lcca -dot- com -dot-

This e-mail has been scanned for viruses and inappropriate content.

Life Care Centers of America, Inc.

http://www.doctohelp.com