RE: The approximate image of...

Subject: RE: The approximate image of...
From: poshedly -at- bellsouth -dot- net
To: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 15:10:58 +0000

I seem to recall from my days in Journalism school in the early 1970s that people in "public places" are fair game. I think I also recall that "utterances" (speeches and the like) are also considered the same.

Now, where the line is drawn that separates using one's likeness/reputation to further a commercial or other interest as opposed to using a photo of someone for other reasons is debatable, but probably not defiinitive (at least here in this forum).

Consider Hollywood personalities who have made extra efforts to go public but "incognito" (grocery shopping or whatever), only to be photographed by paparazzi, with resulting photos -- AND identifications -- published in various magazines.

Your likes and dislikes or those personalities are irrelevant here.

Instead, the issue is whether THOSE personalities signed waivers to allow People or somesuch magazines to publish those images of them. I think not. And I'm reasonably sure that no court would stop publication of those images of those people.

Here in Atlanta, the family of the late Martin Luther King, Jr. has shown its not-so-nice side by demanding (not requesting) royalities for use of MLK's public speeches (for instance the "I have a dream" speech given in Washington, DC, in 1963). Like I said, I was taught that if you are in public and speak in public, then your image and your words are considered "public". The CBS news department caved in to the MLK family several years ago and made payment, and I'm not sure if anyone else has.

(It's funny how many folks have managed to continue riding on MLK's coattails to enrich themselves; he must be doing pinwheels in his grave.)

The King family also wound up in the public eye recently when family members sued each other over miscellaneous business interests and the release / sale of the late Coretta Scott King's letters; the family has also been criticized here for how it "plays the MLK card" whenever it comes under public scrutiny; it's been written up here for the apparently very shoddy care of their father's memorial, The King Center (now requiring millions of public dollars in repairs), while raking in bucks like crazy.

Anyway, that's the way it goes.

-------------- Original message from "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>: --------------

http://www.doctohelp.com