RE: Hiring, but it's a secret?

Subject: RE: Hiring, but it's a secret?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Ned Bedinger" <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 15:25:11 -0500

Ned Bedinger

> But advise every recruiter you talk to that your resume is NOT to be
> submitted without your OK. They hate it because hot jobs move fast, and
> getting in touch with contractors can take hours or days, and worse
> still, some employers stop accepting resumes once they get their quota.
> Still, as far as I'm concerned, every recruiter interested in submitting
> me needs to check with me first, every time.
>
> Of course, you can establish whatever policy you want your recuiter to
> follow, but having that control over who "owns" you seems like the
> sensible way to go, IMHO. This is nothing new, but some agencies and
> recruiters need reminding.

Your policy is sound for the semi-connected, or for those who are not avidly (desperately?) looking.

But if I was in urgent need of a position AND I carried a Blackberry or other phone capable of prompt e-mail, then my policy would be:

- submit my name/resumé if you are _sure_ that it's a unique submission; otherwise, ask - you don't get any more money than I do if this turns out to be a multiple submission, so why waste both our time and reputations...

- BCC me on the submission, or send me a notification with the details of the submission within five minutes of making it.

That would keep me up-to-date, unshackle the power of super-recruiter, yet would give me the opportunity to respond with a quick retraction before damage was done, if I noticed something amiss.

I wouldn't want to lose out on a good opportunity just because I happened to be temporarily unavailable due to agonizing through another interview or other meeting at the time.

- Kevin
or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com