Re: Home businesses and older computers

Subject: Re: Home businesses and older computers
From: Geoff Lane <geoff -at- gjctech -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 15:13:48 +0000

On Tuesday, December 16, 2008, Craig Cardimon wrote;

> How many of you would run your own home-based business using an
> older computer?

> By older I'm talking about a computer that is maxed out with 512 MB
> RAM, 1.20 GHz, and is XP Pro 2002 SP3.
---

I'm trying to figure out where you're going with this since this spec
is adequate for a lot of applications. Personally, I've got a small
network and two of my most important servers (a DC and my mail server)
have a lower spec than you've given, as does each of the virtual
machines I use for development purposes. So you could say that I do
run my own business using "older" computers. However, each computer is
adequate for its purpose and my main workstation and my laptop are
much better specified.

Is it possible to run a home-based business using only such a
computer? I suggest the answer depends on the business but if you're
only wanting basic office functionality, the answer is probably
"Yes!".

HTH,

--
Geoff