RE: Interacting with a touch screen

Subject: RE: Interacting with a touch screen
From: "Boudreaux, Madelyn (GE Healthcare, consultant)" <MadelynBoudreaux -at- ge -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 11:58:03 -0500

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 09:04, Sharon Burton <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
wrote:

> [snip]
>
> (I remember the QA reviewer who had a thing about the word "must". She

> wouldn't certify a document accurate until every "must" was removed.
> She didn't like ordering people, she said. So we couldn't tell the
> users that they must type their username and password to login to the
> system. She wanted us to say they "should". As tho there were options
> here. sigh)

Must sounds musty to me. Mary Poppins-ish. But I agree that "should" is
a toothless word to use in its place. Either you have to do something,
or you don't, and entering a password to access a system is the former.

But more to the point, I wouldn't write, "You must enter your username,"
but rather, "Enter your username." It IS an order, in way. Anyone with
an issue with that should be following the directions on their
chill-pills instead.

I'd preserve "must" for situations where it really IS a necessary extra
precaution, only in those cases where the user might need a little extra
push to understand that it's not an option to ignore the step or action.

But, I'm sure there are cases when you need to use that construction.

- Madelyn

http://www.doctohelp.com