Re: Number of warnings

Subject: Re: Number of warnings
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 10:57:36 -0800

I think most warnings in consumer products are there
more for legal CYA purposes than because they are
really needed to alert users to dangers that may not
be immediately obvious. The only people who might
actually benefit from reading them probably won't read
the instructions anyway, and constitute the dangers the
manufacturers are trying to cover themselves against.

The road advisory signs are, of course, there because
the road planners know that a large number of the cars
that pass them are not being operated by "decent drivers"
and are probably going 5-10 MPH faster than the 40 MPH
advisory.

The two accident sites you refer to should probably have
their advisories lowered.

Gene Kim-Eng