RE: System for naming graphics files

Subject: RE: System for naming graphics files
From: David Hailey <david -dot- hailey -at- usu -dot- edu>
To: Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 14:05:23 -0700

I have to use different naming protocols depending on what I am doing with the images. For my archive, I put all the images from a shoot into the same sub-directory. The subdirectory will be named using a protocol similar to the one some of you have already described "2008-12-30-austin." I never discard images, but I make a sub-subdirectory where I put the uninteresting ones, so the original subdirectory has maybe a dozen or so images in it. Images are done similarly, "2008-12-30-saltLick.PSD" (I store and edit in PSD format and publish in JPG because JPG is lossy).

When I do a large interactive courses of more than 100 pages, I include the page number in the page's file name (htc1-0001.html [heat transfer chapter 1 page 0001], and I name the images to match the page. File examples would look like htc1-0001a.jpg, htc1-0001b.jpg, htc1-0001,mpg. This only works if you have long sections where each page leads to the next with a minimum of hyperlinking.

I must confess that when I do a website I basically wing it. I put different sections from a site into different folders named for what they are supposed to do. I also try to name the file after whatever it is supposed to do -- nextButton.jpg, backButton.jpg. Since I would never edit these, and they will always be in the images folder for the appropriate segment of the project, I have no need for search engine protocols.

For what little it is worth.

Dave

I save for Web and rename the image to include the number of the page it is on.