RE: Read the EULA, folks

Subject: RE: Read the EULA, folks
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "voxwoman" <voxwoman -at- gmail -dot- com>, "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:59:50 -0500

As it happens, I have Vista on my MacBook Pro. So, whatsyerpoint? :-)

I would have gone for XP if I was trying to match my environment at
work, but this was for a just-in-case bootcamp partition on my new home
computer.

I did, however, learn a few things that I didn't want to know about my
Mac.

It's Vista 32-bit, in this otherwise 64-bit world.

Also, OSX seems to be 32-bit, though there's some finagling going on
(w.r.t memory, etc.). And SnowLeopard (the next OSX) will (they say) be
64-bit... although there might be finagling there, too.

Good thing, after all, that I overpaid to have the BestBuy
pseudo-"Genius" install bootcamp and the guest OS (instead of doing it
myself) - otherwise, I would have blithely assumed that 64-bit Vista was
needed, and would have ended up owning a Vista I couldn't use. Also,
it's plain Vista, not the eye-candy version. So it hasn't crashed on me
any more than OSX has, so far, and is otherwise unexceptional (bad or
good) compared to the XP Pro I use at work. Go figure.

This after a decade of running Linux on all my home machines and
part-time on my office boxes. I'm going soft; I know it.

- Kevin (currently in buyer's remorse because they announced the
new-gen 17-inch MacBook Pro, barely a month after I settled on the
15-incher)

voxwoman intoned:

> I believe the laptop in the photo accompanying the article is a Mac.
>
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 9:15 AM, Dan Goldstein <
> DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com> wrote:
>
> > In order to avoid Vista, some users will buy a PC with no
> OS installed,
> > and then install a licensed copy of Windows XP or any other OS.
> >
> > A Linux fan from Haifa took this concept a step further. He
> knowingly
> > bought a system with Vista installed, and then successfully
> sued Dell
> > for a refund for the *unused* OS, based on the language in
> Microsoft's
> > EULA. See:
> >
> > http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3632861,00.html
> >
> > As a side note: The Dell customer is described in the
> original Hebrew
> > article as an "open code activist." For some reason, this phrase
> > disappeared in the English translation.

or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com