Re: How do I document vaporware?

Subject: Re: How do I document vaporware?
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: Sarah Stegall <sstegall -at- bivio -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 21:11:48 -0500

In general it is bad policy to document futures. The documentation can
leave the company open to charges of failing to meet promises of
delivery of product, can telegraph plans to competitors, and (as you
have mentioned) confuse the customer.

The placeholders for future development might be appropriate in the
internal specification docs, but should not be seen by outsiders.

Your management can of course overrule this policy, because it's mine,
not theirs. Their policy can be as stupid as they want, and I won't
care. You might ask the company's legal department, "It is planned that
this copy appear in the Rev. 37 version of the product. Should I worry
about your plans for defending the company if the implied promises are
not fulfilled in Rev. 38 this coming fall?"

http://www.doctohelp.com