Re: I had say it because I was afraid no one else would.

Subject: Re: I had say it because I was afraid no one else would.
From: beelia <beelia -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- soleratec -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 11:25:03 -0800

""Why tech writers use so much jargon, I don't know."

Because they're not writing for idiots like you - they are almost always
addressing other people in the industry who prefer to use specific terms for
well-known (to people who have educated themselves in high tech) industry
concepts.

Please. Give me a break. Just because you have New York Times on your resume
doesn't mean your sophomoric opinions are worth reading (I'm sorry I did, it
just made me angry).

Bee


On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Leonard C. Porrello <
Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- soleratec -dot- com> wrote:

> Tell us, John, are you on David Pogue's payroll, are you hoping for
> employment from his organization, or are you a personal friend? I
> honestly can't imagine any other reason as to why you are defending a
> guy who, in the middle of a recession, denigrated the value of our work
> in a publication with a national readership.
>
> Leonard
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: techwr-l-bounces+leonard -dot- porrello=soleratec -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> [mailto:techwr-l-bounces+leonard.porrello<techwr-l-bounces%2Bleonard.porrello>
> =soleratec -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- c
> om] On Behalf Of John Posada
> Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:53 AM
> To: Sarah Stegall
> Cc: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Subject: Re: I had say it because I was afraid no one else would.
>
> Folks...ya gotta remember that those of us who take the time and
> effort to participate on these lists are a VERY small minority of the
> field. Just by being on the list do we demonstrate that we're
> interested in making our stuff just a little better.
>
> However, for the thousands who write who just couldn't be bothered,
> what he says may hit a little closer to home. I'm sure you've all
> moved into a new job and saw some of their writing.
>
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Sarah Stegall <sstegall -at- bivio -dot- net>
> wrote:
> > Oh, I am SO busted.
> >
> >> There you have it, folks: All tech writers are self-aggrandizing,
> lazy
> >> creatures of habit. None of them care about communicating effectively
> >> with their target audiences.
> >>
> >> It takes a gutsy journalist like David Pogue to reveal what an
> >> irresponsible, inconsiderate bunch we really are.
>
>
>
> --
> John Posada
> Senior Technical Writer
> NYMetro STC President
>
> Looking for the next gig.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> ComponentOne Doc-To-Help 2009 is your all-in-one authoring and
> publishing
> solution. Author in Doc-To-Help's XML-based editor, Microsoft Word or
> HTML and publish to the Web, Help systems or printed manuals.
> http://www.doctohelp.com
>
> Help & Manual 5: The complete help authoring tool for individual
> authors and teams. Professional power, intuitive interface. Write
> once, publish to 8 formats. Multi-user authoring and version control!
> http://www.helpandmanual.com/
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as
> Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- soleratec -dot- com -dot-
>
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/leonard.porrello%40so
> leratec.com<http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/leonard.porrello%40soleratec.com>
>
>
> To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and info.
>
> Please move off-topic discussions to the Chat list, at:
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/listinfo/techwr-l-chat
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> ComponentOne Doc-To-Help 2009 is your all-in-one authoring and publishing
> solution. Author in Doc-To-Help's XML-based editor, Microsoft Word or
> HTML and publish to the Web, Help systems or printed manuals.
> http://www.doctohelp.com
>
> Help & Manual 5: The complete help authoring tool for individual
> authors and teams. Professional power, intuitive interface. Write
> once, publish to 8 formats. Multi-user authoring and version control!
> http://www.helpandmanual.com/
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as beelia -at- pacbell -dot- net -dot-
>
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/beelia%40pacbell.net
>
>
> To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and info.
>
> Please move off-topic discussions to the Chat list, at:
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/listinfo/techwr-l-chat
>
>
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ComponentOne Doc-To-Help 2009 is your all-in-one authoring and publishing
solution. Author in Doc-To-Help's XML-based editor, Microsoft Word or
HTML and publish to the Web, Help systems or printed manuals.
http://www.doctohelp.com

Help & Manual 5: The complete help authoring tool for individual
authors and teams. Professional power, intuitive interface. Write
once, publish to 8 formats. Multi-user authoring and version control! http://www.helpandmanual.com/

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/archive%40web.techwr-l.com


To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and info.

Please move off-topic discussions to the Chat list, at:
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/listinfo/techwr-l-chat


References:
I had say it because I was afraid no one else would.: From: CL T
RE: I had say it because I was afraid no one else would.: From: Dan Goldstein
RE: I had say it because I was afraid no one else would.: From: Sarah Stegall
Re: I had say it because I was afraid no one else would.: From: John Posada
RE: I had say it because I was afraid no one else would.: From: Leonard C. Porrello

Previous by Author: Re: Is a hardcopy of manual included with Adobe Creative Suite 4 Design Standard Win package?
Next by Author: Re: The unemployment roles has just increased by one
Previous by Thread: Re: I had say it because I was afraid no one else would.
Next by Thread: RE: I had say it because I was afraid no one else would.


What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads


Sponsored Ads