Re: I had to say it because I was afraid no one else would

Subject: Re: I had to say it because I was afraid no one else would
From: voxwoman <voxwoman -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 08:06:19 -0500

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 6:29 AM, Michael West <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com> wrote:

> > About twenty years ago, I worked for a commercial baker (you know those
> > grocery store white boxes) as a secretary and had been asked to type a
> > memo for a marketing manager because his own secretary was out that day.
> > It was five pages written in long hand of the most liberty I've ever
> > seen taken with our language. Terms like "incentivize" and "grow the
> > business" abounded. So used to editing my own bosses' mutilated grammar,
> > I blithely edited as I typed. To my astonishment, he came out of his
> > office with the typed copy, red as a beet, demanding to know what right
> > I had to mutilate his words.
>
> As he should have. I hope in the intervening twenty years you've learned to
> do what your boss asks instead of taking it upon yourself to save the
> language. You were asked to type--not to rewrite. The business-school
> jargon
> the marketing manager used was quite likely appropriate to his audience and
> his purposes, and even if it wasn't, you had no business recasting his memo
> into language that you personally preferred without his leave.
>
> Tech writers have a public image problem that is not helped by smart-asses
> who assume, without asking, that they know more about their bosses' jobs
> than their bosses know.
>
> Anyone who can write "five pages written in long hand of the most liberty
> I've ever seen taken." is in no position to be correcting others.

So I should have let "protect our critical asses" sit on our corporate web
page, instead of correcting it to "protect our critical assets"?

I thought my job was to keep my boss (or the company I work for) from
looking like a fool, instead of being a mindless robot. They can hire data
entry people a lot cheaper than what I charge per hour.

I'm not out to save our precious English language from the ravages of
marketeers. I just believe that certain professional communications should
rise above the level of text messages. I deal with a lot of people to whom
English is a second (or third) language. I try to use "proper" English when
I deal with them because to do otherwise is to invite misunderstandings that
end up costing the company hard cash. And I also hope that it improves their
English comprehension and usage along the way.

-Wendy

http://www.doctohelp.com