Re: Instructional design newbie needs pointers!

Subject: Re: Instructional design newbie needs pointers!
From: Pro TechWriter <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 11:10:19 -0600

Another note. I got a request from a recruiter today for an instructional
designer position with this requriement: ADDIE. Here is a link to a
description on Wikipedia. The topic looks very useful, and provides a
breakdown of tasks. It may be very helpful to you, Mark.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADDIE_Model

PT

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 9:13 AM, Gregory P Sweet
<gps03 -at- health -dot- state -dot- ny -dot- us>wrote:

> Mark,
>
> Been there and done that; and if I only knew then what I know now...
>
> Start by reading up on adult learning principles, and the different types
> of learners you are going to encounter. Do a few evaluations to find out
> what kind of learner you are so you can be sure to get out of your comfort
> zone when you develop course interactions. Read up on developing course
> objectives, course evaluations and valid testing methodologies. Read
> anything by Michael Allen or Jane Bozarth.
>
> The Training Doctor, LLC has a course titled "ISD for the SME" which I've
> heard really good things about from some very trusted sources.
> http://www.trainingdr.com/
>
> The the very most important concept to come to grips with immediately is
> that tools do not equal teaching. A good instructional designer can turn
> out a better course with powerpoint or word than an unskilled designer with
> the latest and greatest Captivate/Authorware/BlackBoardCT/Camtasia etc.. So
> again, don't start with tool choice, start by defining your objectives,
> then look for tools and methodologies that can facilitate your learners
> meeting those goals. I made this mistake of picking tools before I knew
> what I was doing when I started out in training and my learners suffered
> for it.
>
> Cheers!
> Greg
>
> > Hi all,
> >

> > I've just been appointed as a Course Author within my company's training
> > department. Although I have a background in technical writing I have
> > mostly concentrated on developer documentation so I'm finding myself a
> > bit out of my depth and in need of some guidance!
> >

> > Things I'm being forced to think about are...
> >

> > Appropriate authoring tools. At the moment we only deliver face-to-face
> > training but will need to look at e-Learning at some point in the near
> > future, so a tool or suite of tools which could do both would be ideal.
> > I've heard quite a bit about single-sourcing without knowing too much
> > about it and wonder if that's something we should be thinking about at
> > this stage?
> >

> > Management of the above. Would source control software (like Subversion)
> > be a good enough way to version control all the content we create, or
> > are there better ways?
> >

> > Instructional design training. This seems to be a vast subject, but how
> > much do I need to know? Does anyone have any recommendations for books,
> > courses, etc on ID basics?
> >

> > I would really appreciate some advice and recommendations from you
> > clever folks.
> >

> > Many thanks,
> >

> > Mark

> > Disclaimer and Corporate Information This e-mail and any attachments
> > are confidential, may be privileged and are intended solely for the
> > use of the intended recipient/s. If you are not an intended
> > recipient, please (a) notify the sender immediately; and (b) delete
> [...]

"You can only become truly accomplished at something you love....Pursue the
things you love doing, and then do them so well that people can't take their
eyes off you."

- Dr. Maya Angelou

http://www.doctohelp.com