Re: Uplifting reading: Why Technical Writing Jobs Are Among the Best Writing Options in an Economic Depression?

Subject: Re: Uplifting reading: Why Technical Writing Jobs Are Among the Best Writing Options in an Economic Depression?
From: Laura Lemay <lemay -at- lauralemay -dot- com>
To: Brad Whittington <brad -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 09:31:46 -0800

On Feb 20, 2009, at 8:05 AM, Brad Whittington wrote:
> Why is it that if companies are selling less, they need fewer people
> to write about what they're selling, but still need the same number of
> people to document what they're selling? The actual practice of one of
> my clients contradicts this theory.

Yeah, I agree. That article has lots of evidence arguing that
copywriting and journalism are going to be cut massively in the
recession, and no evidence at all to support the argument that tech
writers will be spared. Wishing doesn't make it so.

My experience in past recessions is that larger companies that hire
both copy writers and tech writers will cut back dramatically on
both. Tech writers are *not* spared. In small companies the
situation is even worse -- companies will often just outsource *both*
copy writing and tech writing to copy writers, because the copy
writers are significantly cheaper.

It's not going to be a happy time. Buckle up.

Laura

http://www.doctohelp.com