RE: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 40, Issue 22

Subject: RE: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 40, Issue 22
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:59:45 -0500

Geoff Lane was having a bad day when he said:
> Just in case you missed the previous posts, I'll summarise: This
> branch started with Kevin McLaughlan's remark to the effect that a
> degree only shows you're good at tests and where he quoted his
> grandfather's saying that education doesn't make you smarter. IMO,
> both he and his grandfather are wrong. Kevin because a degree also
> demonstrates learning ability and a vocation degree (like MBA) shows
> that the holder is trained to, and has achieved, a certain minimum
> standard. Kevin's grandfather not only because an increased knowledge
> of a subject you use in life imparts greater ability, which many would
> consider being smarter, but also because of the point I made in the
> post to which you responded. Next, Leonard C. Porrello responded by
> parodying Kevin's quote - to which Kevin took offence. Now although
> Leonard had (IMO) a valid point, it was lost because of the manner in
> which he made it. From this, tech writers might learn to avoid
> parodying their audience's heritage. From that point, others claimed
> to have taken offence along the thread for various reasons, and from
> each one can identify a pitfall.

No doubt the actual originator will have already corrected you, but...
It's a good thing that you spelled my name wrong, since you seem to be
confusing me with the person who actually wrote those things. I never
met either of my grandfathers. They were dead well before my time.

I probably said something else that you disagreed with in a different
thread.
Get my name right if you misquote me on that. :-)

- Kevin (your chain has been yanked) McLauchlan, somewhere in Ottawa
or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com