Re: Exempt status for Tech Writers

Subject: Re: Exempt status for Tech Writers
From: Deborah Hemstreet <dvora -at- tech-challenged -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 17:47:17 -0500

Hi Dan,

I think its the way society has developed in the US.

I was an hourly professional in Israel for 20 years. For the first 10
years, I was a professional, but didn't know it.. and the university I
was at did not recognize it anyway.

For the next 10 years, I received a much better hourly wage, and knew I
was a professional, and was recognized as a professional.

In today's economy, and I guess my whole life, I don't really care what
others think. If I believe I'm a professional - - I am. I remember
getting into this discussion years ago when I was a licensed practical
nurse. I said I was a professional. Others said I wasn't, because I was
not an RN.

In the end, both then, in Israel, and today, I don't really care what
others say. I know what I am, and am thankful when I can support my
family with whatever skills I've been blessed with.

I personally think that the whole issue of "Professional" needs to be
carefully examined and defined. In my opinion, a degree and job title,
or even the US Government, do not make a person a professional
practitioner of their career... but I digress.

Deborah

http://www.tech-challenged.com

http://www.doctohelp.com