Re: Exempt status for Tech Writers

Subject: Re: Exempt status for Tech Writers
From: "Downing, David" <david -dot- downing -at- fiserv -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:51:54 -0600

From: voxwoman <voxwoman -at- gmail -dot- com>

I shall reiterate this yet again... I will be happy to be "exempt" from
hourly wages as soon as my doctor and my lawyer do the same. I believe both
those highly valued/highly touted professions are treated as hourly
employees. At least they bill that way.

People should be compensated for the time that they work. If management
plans poorly enough to require additional hours from their employees to meet
their deadlines, they should be willing to pay for that time,

David Downing
Senior Technical Writer
Credit Union Solutions
Fiserv

I agree whole heartedly, but as every adult knows -- and some of us have learned the hard way -- what *should be* and what *is* are two different things. When your boss tells you you need to put in extra hours, and then says, "But you don't get paid overtime because you're salaried," what can you do.

(Actually, in my case, we have gotten compensatory time off if it was a matter of meeting a deadline.)

http://www.doctohelp.com