Re: "Select" in lieu of other verbs

Subject: Re: "Select" in lieu of other verbs
From: Jay Maechtlen <techwriter -at- covad -dot- net>
To: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 13:55:12 -0800

lol!
Our group did a touchscreen system back in the early 90's running Windows.
We used a pretty good touchscreen (SAW), but it sure was a tough way to
use Windows.
The deployed app used big enough "buttons" to be (mostly) quite usable.
Some functions, though, were still better done with a mouse. (the days
of four-port serial cards, and lots of IRQs and such to allocate!)
cheers
Jay
and, yes, I did use that kind of terminology pretty often during the dev
phase.

McLauchlan, Kevin wrote:

> Gene Kim-Eng let slip:
> [...]
>
>> BTW, this may be hopelessly out of date, but about
>> 20 years ago I worked on a system where we decided
>> to replace a light pen interface with a touchscreen
>> (CRT, of course). We ended up using "press," after
>> discovering that most people confronted with visual
>> buttons on a monitor screen actually did *press*
>> them as if they were physical buttons, and if they
>> didn't get the expected response pressed the
>> screen *harder* on repeat attempts.

Actually, the SAW screens did respond better to a more forceful 'touch'.

--
Jay Maechtlen
626 444-5112 office

http://www.doctohelp.com