Re: Sample document creation for contract position

Subject: Re: Sample document creation for contract position
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Melissa Lowery-Smith" <artsyreader -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 10:00:38 -0700

Samples of past work is not an unreasonable request.
I maintain a collection of excerpts, several selected
pages and TOCs from some past projects that I can
select something from that I think would be relevant for
the person making the request. As far as interviewing
an SME and writing something, I would consider that a
better "test" than some canned asking a candidate to
edit or rewrite some canned dummy document, but
I would limit such an exercise to something single-page
that I think a competent writer could produce in under
an hour. 10-15 pages is excessive and may represent
an attempt to get free work out of you, though I shudder
to think what the company's documents are like to use
if they employ this practice to produce them.

Gene Kim-Eng